There are three ways by which companies predict and manipulate our habits:
1. They collect data about our buying habits when we shop. They make use of this observations to send us coupons and the like to make us buy more. They will also send us advertisements and coupons which are related to make us buy new things which we would otherwise have not bought.
2. People’s buying habits are more likely to change when they are going through a major life event. They predict these new events by the change in our shopping habits when a new life event happens. So they then start sending out coupons and advertisements to make us buy more and develop new shopping habits.
3. People want the familiar. Companies sandwich advertisements and coupons for new things between familiar items. We then get interested in the new things and ultimately start buying them.
If you are aware of these things, you can be careful not to fall into their traps.
You can also use these methods to create good habits in your life and your kid’s life.
- For example, you can sandwich new activities that you want to develop between familiar activities.
- You can make a change in your routine and keep it up for a week.
- Note down the activities that you do. Noting down makes you aware and awareness can lead to change.