There are times when we feel at our best. There are times when we feel at our worst. There are times when we feel good but not great, not at our best. Flourishing means to feel at your best. What does this really mean?
There are four essential things we need to flourish. We can call it the four C’s:
- Challenge: You have to have a challenge. The challenge can be positive like a new opportunity. It can be negative like a setback. Then you take the challenge because suddenly you see meaning and purpose in it. At other times you take the challenge because you have to, and then on the way you find the meaning and the purpose.
- Connectivity: You feel connected both within and without. This means you feel all your being, you body, mind, heart and soul are all attuned to each other and marching to the same beat. You also feel connected in a similar way to your environment and the people around you.
- Control: You feel you are in charge. You have enough control and choice over the things that are important to you.
- Competencies: You feel you are using your strengths, your intelligence, your talents, your experiences and the lessons you have learnt in life while working with the challenge.
And what is also important are the answers to deeply personal and fundamental questions:
- Who am I?
- What is really important to me?
- What do I want to do with my life?
- How I can live in a personally authentic way?
But none of us live alone. We live in the world with other people. So to flourish, we need to live with people, at home and at work who have the similar sort of values and challenges like us. Yes, sure they can complement us, but if they are way different, I think it becomes a bit difficult to flourish. We will end up languishing and not flourishing.
Each of us has the same instinctive urge to grow and thrive, to feel our life energy stretch and fill every corner of our selves, to reach some high point of self-realisation. When we manage to do that, we feel happy. We are able to love more fully, do good work and leave the world a better place than we found it. We are flourishing.