There are actually seven elements that you want to raise to world – class level before you call yourself rich. Focus on each of the seven elements if you want to experience real wealth. Money alone does not define being wealthy. There are many rich people who are unhappy and unsuccessful as human beings. By focusing on elevating all seven of the following areas to world – class levels, you will not only shine ever so brightly for all those around you – you will also find a contentment that lasts.
1. Inner Wealth: This includes a positive mindset, high self – respect, internal peace and a strong spiritual connection.
2. Physical Wealth: Your health is your wealth. What’s the point of getting to a great place in your career if you get sick doing it? Why be the best businessperson in the hospital ward? Why be the richest person in the graveyard?
3. Family and Social Wealth: When your family life is happy, you will perform better at work. No one gets to the end of their life and regrets making their family their first priority. Related to this is the imperative of forgoing deep connections with friends and members of your personal community (including mentors, role models and trusted advisors).
4. Career Wealth: Actualizing your highest potential by reaching for your best in your career is incredibly important. Getting to greatness in your profession brings a feeling of satisfaction on a job well done. It helps you make your mark, being world class in your work is so good for your self – respect.
5. Economic Wealth: Yes, money is important. Not the most important thing in life but very important. It absolutely makes life easier and better: Money allows you to live in a nice home, take beautiful vacations and provide well for those you love. And as Yvon Chouinard, the founder of the outdoor gear company Patagonia, has said: “The more I make, the more I can give away.”
6. Adventure Wealth: To be fulfilled, each of us needs mystery in our lives. Challenge is necessary for happiness. The human brain craves novelty. And we are creative beings so we need to be creating constantly if we hope to feel joy. Lots of adventure (ranging from meeting new people to visiting new places) is an essential element of authentic wealth.
7. Impact Wealth: Perhaps the deepest longing of the human heart is to live fro something greater than itself. Each of us craves to be significant. To make a difference. To know that the world has somehow been better because we have walked the planet. Think of what Richard Bach once wrote: “Here is the test to find whether your mission on earth is finished: If you’re alive, it isn’t.”
I hope this blog helps you on this path.