Clustering illusion: The human brain seeks patterns and rules. If it finds no familiar patterns, then it invents them.
- Seeing shapes in clouds
- Hearing messages in background noise
- Seeing an image where none exist: in bread, in ashes, in tortillas and planets
- Seeing patterns in stock market data
- Seeing patterns in random sequences
In almost all cases, we have been fooled.
- Be aware that we find patterns where none exist.
- If you think you have discovered a pattern, first consider it pure chance.
- If you think it is true, find a mathematician and have your data tested statistically.
-notes from “The Art Of Thinking Clearly” by Rolf Dobelli